Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Project #1: Wedding Cakes


My sister M is getting married next March, and the budget has gone from small to "as little as possible without looking cheap." With that mandate in mind, my sister has decided that she and I (her matron-of-honor) will be making the wedding cake.

In this case, it will be cakes. Initially she wanted a small, tiered, fondant-covered cake, a prospect that filled me with dread. While I do bake a lot, I have no experience with fondant, and neither does she. She thought it would look good and be easy to do. Luckily, her fiance spotted the Wilton giant cupcake pan at a craft store and suggested they use a giant cupcake as the centerpiece of each table.
So now the plan is to bake 8-10 giant cupcakes for this wedding: one for each guest table and one for the head table for the bride and groom to cut.

We have five months to perfect two cake recipes (one white and one chocolate), find a good icing recipe, master frosting this style of cake, decide on fillings and find good recipes, and master any necessary decorating techniques. For two moms with full-time jobs and a toddler each, it's going to be tough. I also strongly suspect that, in the end, it will be no cheaper than having a bakery make a cake.

No comments: